Jennifer Mara is the firm’s managing partner and majority shareholder.
Her practice concentrates on complex business litigation and criminal defense matters. Ms. Mara’s experience ranges from high profile federal criminal trials to quickly negotiated, discreet business settlements.
Jennifer’s civil practice is broad based, comprised of matters involving qui tam claims, shareholder disputes as well as breach of contract, fraud, intellectual property, antitrust and RICO and False Claim Act claims.
In her criminal practice, Jennifer represented individuals during lengthy federal trials in the “Bridgegate” matter and the prosecution of the former Bergen County Democratic Party Chairman. She has also represented the Treasurer of a sitting United States Congressperson’s Campaign in connection with a federal investigation of that Congressperson, as well as the former Executive Director of the Newark Watershed Conservation and Development Corporation and the former President of the Elizabeth New Jersey School Board.
Jennifer has conducted internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients involving potential civil or criminal exposure. Similarly, she has represented individuals in connection with such investigations.
Jennifer’s mixed practice of civil and criminal litigation provides her with unique experience. For example, she has represented clients in RICO and antitrust litigation in which both civil and criminal liability was at issue. Based upon her experience in that regard, Ms. Mara has acted as local counsel for large firms with high stakes matters pending in New Jersey’s federal and state courts.
Law Firm Defense Litigation: Ms. Mara is lead counsel for a large New York law firm in connection with legal malpractice claims filed against it in New Jersey State court. Ms. Mara obtained a dismissal of those claims at the trial level and she now represents that firm in the plaintiff’s appeal of that dismissal.
N.J. Attorney General v. Client: Ms. Mara represented a former employee of a defunct investment firm in connection with civil litigation surrounding that firm’s cessation of operations.
In re Pharmaceutical Company Executive: Ms. Mara represented a pharmaceutical company executive in connection with a federal criminal investigation regarding off label marketing and alleged violations of the anti-kickback statute. The executive was never charged.
In re Mortgage Company: Ms. Mara represented a mortgage company in a federal civil RICO suit against its former employees and other individuals.
In re Packaged Ice Industry Executive: Ms. Mara represented a former packaged ice industry executive in federal civil and criminal antitrust litigation. He received a probationary sentence and had no liability in the civil matter.
In re Luxury Car Dealerships: Ms. Mara represented all New Jersey dealerships of a luxury car brand in connection with the dealerships’ receipt of subpoenas for testimony and documents in a federal class action in the District of New Jersey.
In re Real Estate Developer: Ms. Mara’s client was an executive and consultant under investigation by a County Prosecutor’s office for an alleged $1 million fraud. The prosecutor agreed to forgo an indictment and permit a civil resolution between parties.
In re Charitable Organization: Ms. Mara represented a 501(c)(3) corporation in a false claims investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The matter was resolved without any criminal charges filed.
In re Federal Grand Jury Subpoena: Ms. Mara represented a religious-based 501(c)(3) organization in connection with its response to numerous grand jury subpoenas issued in connection with a federal investigation conducted by the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey.
In re New Jersey Attorney General Investigation: Ms. Mara represents the Third-Party Administrator of insurance claims for several New Jersey municipalities in connection with its response to several grand jury subpoenas issued as part of a criminal investigation underway by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office.
N.J. Attorney General v. Client: Ms. Mara represented the owner of a durable medical supply company in connection with a civil litigation regarding the company’s Medicare billing.
Toy Manufacturer Litigation: Ms. Mara is local counsel in the District of New Jersey for an international toy manufacturer in connection with litigation alleging trademark and copyright violations as well as patent infringement.
In re Hedge Fund: Ms. Mara acted as local counsel to an offshore hedge fund engaged in federal litigation in the District of New Jersey.
In re Music Industry Manager: Ms. Mara represented a music industry manager in a dispute regarding a Grammy-award-winning artist.
In re Home Health Care Executives: Ms. Mara represented employees of a home health care facility under federal investigation of possible violations of the False Claims Act.
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2001)
Articles Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Yale University (Graduate Program in Political Science, 1996-1997)
- Rutgers University (M.A., 1995)
- Rutgers University (B.A., with honors, 1994)
Law clerk to United State Magistrate Judge (now District Judge) Claire C. Cecchi, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2006-07
- United States v. Kouevi, 698 F.3d 126 (3d Cir. 2012)
- United States v. Bergrin, 650 F.3d 257 (3d Cir. 2011)
- McNulty v. Reddy Ice Holdings, Inc., 271 F.R.D. 569 (E.D. Mich. 2011)
- State v. Mauti, 208 N.J. 519 (2012)
- State v. Rivera, 205 N.J. 472 (2011)
- State v. Mauti, 416 N.J. Super. 178 (2010)
- In re State Grand Jury Investigation, 200 N.J. 481 (2009)
- State v. Nyhammer, 197 N.J 383 (2009)
Awards & Honors*
- Super Lawyers Top 50 Women Lawyers, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2014 & 2013
- Essex County Bar Association's 2017 Criminal Trial Attorney Award
- New Jersey Law Journal's Top 25 Women in the Law, 2016
- Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense, 2012-2020
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Criminal Defense, 2009-2011
- 'Solid Waste Agency of N. Cook County v. United States Army Corps of Engineers,' 31 Seton Hall L. Rev. 546, (2001)
- 'Living with Consequences: The New Jersey Supreme Court Finds Cohabitation Provisions Enforceable,' 30 Seton Hall L. Rev. 1255, (2000)
- 'William S. Greenberg, Trial Handbook for New Jersey Lawyers (4th ed. 1998),' Contributor
- Secretary, Women's White Collar Defense Association (New Jersey Chapter)
- Vice President, Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Member, District Ethics Committee, District VI (Hudson County)
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Past-Chair, Federal Practice Committee, Essex County Bar Association
* No aspect of this communication has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information about methodologies for rating or selecting attorneys is available on our website's disclaimer page.